• Print Page Content

History

The present Glenbervie School is an amalgamation of six other schools from the surrounding districts: Huanui (est. 1893); Kiripaka (est.1895); Bryn Avon (est. 1906); Whareora (est. 1914); Kaiatea (est.1929); and Pataua (est.1933).

Originally Glenbervie School was known as Huanui School which was opened in May 1893 and was situated on Harris Road.

In 1906, in response to an increase in dairy farms and permanent residents, Bryn Avon School was established.

In 1913 Huanui School asked the Education Board for the school to be moved to a more convenient site and that a school be built in the Whareora area.

In 1913, Lady Eleanor Douglas offered 5 acres to the Education Board, on the condition that the school be renamed Glenbervie. This was agreed to and in December 1913, the Board authorised the removal of the school and its name change. The present site is where the school was moved to.

Huanui School was dismantled and carted by horse drawn wagons during the school holidays to the current Glenbervie school site.

In 1932 Kiripaka School and Kaiatea School consolidated with Glenbervie due to staffing problems and a lack of numbers attending.

In 1945 Byrn Avon School closed and the children attended Whareora School.

In 1953 a new block of two rooms and a staffroom was completed at Glenbervie School.

A swimming pool was built in 1954 following a bequest from the late Mr Ted Hutchinson.

In 1959 a new administration and classroom block was built on the lower level of the school site.

In 1972 both Pataua and Whareora Schools closed and amalgamated with Glenbervie.

In 1993 a Jubilee was held to recognise the length of time that education had been going in the "totara School District". This Jubilee recognised eduation in all the seven schools.

In 1993 the school sold off some of the pines trees on the western boundary to fund the building of a Hall on the upper level.

In 1996 a new classroom block of four classrooms and a resource room were built to cater for roll growth.